- Avoid careless smoking habits. Never smoke in bed or while reclining.
- Keep multi-purpose ABC fire extinguishers near high-risk areas such as kitchens. Make sure that you and all family members know how to use them.
- Have smoke alarms installed. MAINTAIN BATTERIES regularly.
- Develop a household fire escape plan. Practice the plan until each family member knows what to do.
- Make sure bedroom windows unlock and open easily.
- Keep all escape routes such as doors, windows, stairways, and hallways clear.
- Post fire department phone number at ever phone in the house.
- Teach children how to warn others, leave the house, and call for help.